Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Conifer keeling in "wind-tunnel"!

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 08:01:44 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill

On 2011-03-05 12:59:24 +0000, Eddy
said:
Hello All.

The extraordinary gales whistling through Shropshire from Wales several
weeks ago were too much for the thin 18-foot conifer in this photo.
There's another conifer, of a different sort, nearby, which is currently
only 6 feet high and which will grow into a very high and wide tree if I
let it, but that cannot be because of proximity to the house. *However I
know that it is one of those conifers that you CAN trim and shape and it
will "bush". *But as for this one (in the photo), I have no idea.

Many thanks,

Eddy.

I can't be at all sure from the photo but it looks to me like a
Christmas tree. *Did you plant one out or did your predecessors? *With
some exceptions, I'm no great fan of conifers and as this seems to be a
rather wispy one, I'd get rid of it, if it were mine.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I just wonder why you want it. What are you hopeing it will do for
you?
It's not going to thicken much at the base, so is not going to help
your privacy.
I'd be inclined to get rid of it and to plant something more suitable

Yep, I'd have it out. But what on earth is it? I'm not sure that it
/is/ a Norway spruce. For a moment I even thought it might be a larch,
but saw that all the deciduous spp in the photo were dormant.

--
Mike.