Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Sowing parsnips

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

When my German friend visited me, she tasted parsnips for the first
time and loved them. They seem to be unusual on the continent for
some reason. I sent her a packet of seed a couple or three years ago
and she grew them very successfully - the soil where she lives is
perfect for them, it's almost like sand. So I sent her some more in
her birthday parcel (Sept) and she told me a month or so ago that when
the snow had gone, briefly, and the temp was up to a tropical 3C,
she'd sown a row or two.

I said I thought it was far too early and now (what a surprise!) the
temp is down to -10C again there.
What are the chances of those seeds surviving and germinating? I know
parsnips can be difficult germinators (is that a word?) at the best of
times.
I have no experience to offer her, root veggies hate my quite heavy
clay soil and as I don't particularly like parsnips I never tried to
grow them anyway ;-)
My friend is a vegetarian so having a new veg to eat is a good thing.
In short what I'm asking is what are the optimum conditions for sowing
parsnips, bearing in mind they are not the easiest: and did poor Nüle,
in her enthusiasm for the root veg she had never tasted and now loves,
condemn the seeds to death by planting them too early in the German
climate? The trouble with Germany is, I thought their climate was
similar to ours. Well, sort of - but when it's summer it's hot and
remains the same for ges - I went in August and nearly fried - 30C at
9.30 a.m! Winter is the same - it snows big time and remains for
weeks at -15c. I'm visiting in May this year ;-) not just for the
easier temperature for a Brit but to do some birdwatching and hear the
thrush nightingales sing - she is just on the furthest range where
they can be heard. I nearly saw a black redstart there last time - I
saw it's tail disappearing into a bush..

Any parsnip thoughts welcome.

Tina

Have you, Tina, or your German friend heard of germinating them in toilet
roll cardboard tubes? It really does work. It's a bit faffy filling them
with soil and compost but I have found it perfect.
If you cut the cardboard tubes half to make 2 tubes, fill them with soil
and compost mix then dib a little hole to sow 2 seeds and cover with
compost, keep them indoors until they germinate. You will with any luck
have 2 seedlings in each tube, and very quick too. Keep the strongest one
in each tube.
In March or April use a bulb planter to plant the seedlings,tube and all
at 6" apart you will have a bed which does not need thinning, just let
them grow 'till they are at the size you require but are best left untill
a few frosts have been had.
BTW don't use all compost as they may 'fork' (have more than one root),
it is best to use 50/50 with soil.
I have used this method with swede too with perfect results and this year
I will try a few carrots.
It all sounds a bit faffy, I know, but really it isn't. It IS I have
found more reliable and low maintenance. I have had very few weeds too.

I hope this helps you and your friend.
Baz