Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default Conifer keeling in "wind-tunnel"!

Sacha wrote:
I can't be at all sure from the photo but it looks to me like a
Christmas tree. Did you plant one out or did your predecessors? With
some exceptions, I'm no great fan of conifers and as this seems to be a
rather wispy one, I'd get rid of it, if it were mine.

Hi Sacha! Without getting my Expert Shrubs book out I can't give the
name of this conifer - but it's one that grows very tall and narrow,
though nowhere as dense as a cypress.

Yes, I suppose it is rather "wispy", and this is because of harsh
conditions, the cold and the wind here in winter. It is greener now
than where the previous owners had it, strapped to the side of the house
to help it withstand the winds! I hate destroying trees, hence my hope
that if reduced to 6-foot and trimmed it might bush. Well, I suppose I
can always just try and see. Would now not be the best time of year to
do this. Or should I wait a month or two?

Thanks, Sacha.

Eddy.