Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default Conifer keeling in "wind-tunnel"!

Very nice view of the whole scene, Eddy.
I am envious, and if all you have to worry about is that tree I envy you
more.
I am no expert with trees, but isn't the tree in question very, or too
close to the one on the right of it?
How your garden must look in summer when in leaf! Is that little road
separating you from your neighbour? or is it yours? Either way it is a
dream.

Thanks for helpful reply, Caz. Yes, it certainly is rather close to the
three paper birches, which stand in a triangle just adjacent. But in
winter when the birches are completely leafless the deodar provides a
bit of green. All four trees help to somewhat hide an electricity pole
from the view of the house.

I've always known that the deodar would have to be nipped each year at
its top to ensure it doesn't get too high - and interfere with electric
cable and satellite reception - but now it's clear that even at the
current height it can't withstand the wind.

I've been surprised to read here so many responses saying, in effect,
"Just get it out!" My problem is hating to end the life of any plant
unless absolutely necessary, hence hoping somebody will say that deodars
bush beautifully if trimmed and cut! :-)

Eddy.