Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Dizzy_sparkle Dizzy_sparkle is offline
Registered User

Default Bamboo advice!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and wondered if I could pick your bamboo brains!

We've just moved to our first house and we're trying to figure out what to do with the garden. It's mostly paved with small slate tiles. It's quite small (mid terrace house) and we want it to feel secluded.

We've got a waist/shoulder high brick wall on one side, with two gaps about a metre apart and 30cm square which used to hold a jasmine bush and some ivy. These are now gone and we really wanted to put some bamboo in there to create a nice green screen and get some foliage in the garden.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good species to plant there? We'd like to have a tall-ish growing species (up to 2.5m ideally) and some smaller ones of varying heights around it in pots.

Would I need to put a root barrier down? I don't want the bamboo spreading under the tiles and pushing them up out of place....

Many thanks for all your help!

Dizzy sparkle