Old 07-03-2011, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 25 ft high plum trees. To cut or not to cut that is the Q.

echinosum wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;914363']I would reduce them. You can cut them quite severely if
you do it in later
winter to early spring before the sap rises. Just how far you can
cut them
depends a bit on conformation but down to 8-10ft would not be out of
the

question.

It is generally recommended to prune plum trees, and other stone
fruit, in high summer because of the risk of them getting silver leaf
infection if pruned at any other time of year.

Going to my books this seems recommended by some but not others. Some don't
even mention the disease, I don't know anybody who prunes in summer, perhaps
the fungus is not endemic here. Well live and learn. Apparently the fungus
is susceptible to common sprays used for other fungi so that may be a
safeguard.

David