Old 26-02-2003, 02:15 AM
John

Default Sparrows Devouring Lettuce Plants!

Because the sparrows are small, and if you're good, a .22 works. Otherwise,
a .410 is the choice. If you went to a 12, or even a 20 gauge, there would
be nothing left but feathers. If you are unfortunate to live in city limits,
an air rifle will prove sufficient.

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Yesterday I planted some lettuce seedlings in the garden, only to find
them serving as a tempting salad for the birds. I found several
Rufous-crowned Sparrows devouring my lettuce plants this morning. I
had no idea the birds were herbacious! Fruits and nuts, sure. But
lettuce?

I've taken great pains to welcome birds into my garden, providing
food, water, and shelter, but I would like to keep my vegetable garden
in tact as much as possible. How can I prevent them from devouring my
lettuce? I tried hanging an audio CD from a string, which was a
recommended method of scaring them out of my raised beds, but it had
no effect on them. Any suggestions?