Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing parsnips

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Any parsnip thoughts welcome.

Tina

Have you, Tina, or your German friend heard of germinating them in toilet
roll cardboard tubes?

I have, but she probably hasn't.

It really does work. It's a bit faffy filling them
with soil and compost but I have found it perfect.
If you cut the cardboard tubes half to make 2 tubes, fill them with soil
and compost mix then dib a little hole to sow 2 seeds and cover with
compost, keep them indoors until they germinate. You will with any luck
have 2 seedlings in each tube, and very quick too. Keep the strongest one
in each tube.
In March or April use a bulb planter to plant the seedlings,tube and all
at 6" apart you will have a bed which does not need thinning, just let
them grow 'till they are at the size you require but are best left untill
a few frosts have been had.
BTW don't use all compost as they may 'fork' (have more than one root),
it is best to use 50/50 with soil.
I have used this method with swede too with perfect results and this year
I will try a few carrots.
It all sounds a bit faffy, I know, but really it isn't. It IS I have
found more reliable and low maintenance. I have had very few weeds too.

I hope this helps you and your friend.

I'll definitely tell her about this method, it had slipped my mind.
She may not have the time though, as she is a qualified doctor, is
renovating a old farmhouse with 4 acres, breeds "old-fashioned" bulldogs -
the ones with straight legs, a longer nose so they can breathe, and are
self-whelping i.e. do not need a caesarian plus she speaks 4 languages and
occasionally makes herself useful as an interpreter.
I guess rushing out to plant some seeds when she had a bit of time and the
temperature was above freezing is typical of a non-educated German that
knows she has a whole packet and can always ask me to send another ;-))

Tina