Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Cutting and air-layering of alder?

I want to grow-on an alder which has traits which I want. I have found
that alder cuttings don't take, and I am looking for ideas. Apart from
trying again what didn't work last time, sticking a cutting in compost
with rooting compound, what can you suggest?

The possibilities I can think of a-

1) Use a mist propagator. They aren't magic, what tricks work? (My
nearest local garden shop, Peter Barretts, has become a general
giftware and household trinket store rather than a garden shop, and I
will have to look around for another supplier)

2) Air layering. Any suggestions as to technique?

3) Other possibilities?

Here, on Tyneside, the catkins are finished but the leaves haven't
come out yet, so I have some choice of timing.

Michael Bell