Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default what varieties of tomatoes should I plant this year?

Ohioguy wrote:

-snip-
Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on varieties this year. I should
probably order within the next 5 days or so.

I'll only add to the suggestions that you've gotten so far-- be sure
to plant variety. I rarely get tomatoes that follow the time,
size, or taste that the seed catalogs say they will.

Sometimes I'll get Early Girls ripening up after my mid-season ones
[and it seems like they are much sweeter when they do] -- small
beefsteaks, freakishly huge paste tomatoes, Sweet 100s that aren't so
sweet. [that happened 2 cold, wet years in a row & made me begin to
wonder if they had changed the variety]

IMO, weather plays a bigger part in a tomato's development than we can
keep track of. hot, cold, wet, dry, and all the variations on a
given day of the plant and fruit's development.

Especially if you're planting seed- no reason not to have 6-8
varieties. [and 20-30 would not make you a weirdo on some of the
tomato growing forums.]

I'm going with an assortment of colored cherry tomatoes this year--
and a few early, big, and paste varieties.

Jim