Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default what varieties of tomatoes should I plant this year?

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:17:08 -0500, The Cook wrote:

On 8 Mar 2011 16:27:00 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

You may be able to get a good variety of tomatoes at your local
hardware, farm supply, nursery, Lowe's or Home Depot. My Lowe's
carries Burpee and Ferry-Morse seeds. I don't think I have every had
a problem with either of them. Shipping costs will eat up your seed
budget faster than the seeds do.

Stay away from the Big Box stores, they destroyed the entire New England
tomato crop two years ago by sell late blight infected plants.

Were people buying seeds or plants?

The problem was caused by plants, seeds from big box stores are safe but
generally uninteresting.

I've just ordered some seeds from Amazon,

Sun Golds
Bucks County
Lollypop

The Sun Golds that I grew last year were fantastic in all respects. They
are the sweetest tomato that I've ever eaten and the production was
prodigious, the plants started yielding in early Aug and continued for a
couple of months. I had thousands of Sun Golds. I ate them off of the vine
every day but most of them ended up in sauce (I make a years supply every
fall). People don't usually use cherry tomatoes for sauce but it really
works, it's fantastic sauce.

The other two that I've just ordered are experiments, the reviews were
good so I'm hoping for the best.