Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default what varieties of tomatoes should I plant this year?

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Stay away from the Big Box stores, they destroyed the entire New England
tomato crop two years ago by sell late blight infected plants.

Were people buying seeds or plants? I rarely buy plants. Sometimes
DH will buy one, to get a jump on the season he says. Last year he
bought a fair sized Better Boy. My late starting BBs fruited about
the same time. Right now my tomato seedlings are just starting to
get their second leaves. They will probably go in the ground mid to
late April depending on the weather. Right now our ground is so wet I
think I would mire in up to my ankles. About 3 inches Saturday and
Sunday and more predicted for tomorrow. I probably should start
hardening off some of the onions and cole crops.

In the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
(yada, yada, yada)
it is advised to have a soil temp. of 80F for germination, and at least
70F for growing. WIll you have soil temp. of 70F in mid to late April?

I sometimes plant when the soil is cooler, but then the tomatoes just
sit there until the ground warms up enough to get them growing.

Last year I covered the tomato beds with clear plastic, and that warmed
the soil by an additional 5 - 6 degrees Fahrenheit. I had drip
irrigation under the plastic.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkDikRLQrw