Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Green tent

I'm thinking of using some plastic sheeting to form a temporary greenhouse
or more precisely a green tent. I've been using steel garden fencing poles
as plant stakes. I'm thinking of putting them out earlier this year and
using them as tent poles by stretching plastic film over them to form a
tent. I'm hoping this might allow me to get an earlier start, maybe April
or early May instead of waiting to the end of May. When the weather is
reliably warm I'll take the plastic down.

I'm in Massachusetts, near New Hampshire.

I have a couple of questions,

1) Am I fooling myself? Will this really be helpful?

2) What sort of plastic should I use. I see that there are things marketed
as greenhouse films. Are they any better than a roll of plastic sheeting
from Loews or Home Depot?