Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Missed some potatoes when harvesting.

In message , Baz
writes
I have been digging over last years potato plot over the last couple of
days and have dug out loads of ones I missed. The ones I didn't put the
fork through are in very good condition, which makes me think that
considering the harsh winter we have all had, why dig them up in the first
place at harvest time? Why not leave them until needed? Yes I put the fork
through some, but with more care it would not be so.
The ones I harvested last autumn and stored are not nearly as good as the
ones left in the ground over winter. I do realise that I will need the
ground in April onwards, but I can harvest them then and store them for a
much shorter period until the new ones are ready.

I know I am missing something here, probably basic, but I wondered if
anyone who reads this has any comments,criticism or useful advice.

Baz

You have a problem if you need potatoes when the ground is frozen.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley