Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Green tent

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I'm thinking of using some plastic sheeting to form a temporary
greenhouse or more precisely a green tent. I've been using steel
garden fencing poles as plant stakes. I'm thinking of putting them
out earlier this year and using them as tent poles by stretching
plastic film over them to form a tent. I'm hoping this might allow me
to get an earlier start, maybe April or early May instead of waiting
to the end of May. When the weather is reliably warm I'll take the
plastic down.

I'm in Massachusetts, near New Hampshire.

I have a couple of questions,

1) Am I fooling myself? Will this really be helpful?

Yes it will help but how bold you can be starting early you will have to
work out on site.

2) What sort of plastic should I use. I see that there are things
marketed as greenhouse films. Are they any better than a roll of
plastic sheeting from Loews or Home Depot?

Plastic has various degrees of resistance to UV radiation after which it
weakens and disintegrates. The stuff that is not very resistant will fail
in a few months in the sun, the resistant will last a few years. You pay
you money and take your choice. You will need to fasten it in a way that
does not tear in a high wind.

Air circulation may become an issue. The tent may get very hot and steamy
which will encourage fungal diseases.

David