Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default 25 ft high plum trees. To cut or not to cut that is the Q.

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

I'll cut the trunks off at an angle, so that rain runs off, and coat
the cuts with this special sealer from the garden centre.

Bad idea.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/art...-garden-expert
s-about-pruning-trees
Painting pruning wounds
Should I paint the pruning wounds on my trees?*
Do not apply a pruning paint or wound dressing to pruning wounds. The
application of a pruning paint or wound dressing does not prevent wood
decay and may actually interfere with the tree¹s natural wound
prevent the transmission of oak wilt, oak trees should not be pruned in
spring and summer. If an oak tree needs to be pruned during the growing
season, for example to correct storm damage, immediately (within 15
minutes) paint the pruning cuts with a latex house paint. Winter
(December, January and February) is the best time to prune oak trees in
Iowa. There is no need to paint the pruning wounds when oaks are pruned
in winter.*

--
cheapo

Didn't think of grafting but that is a good option. Here is some info
you may not have found as yet:

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/.../grafting.html

do watch cutting branches back properly to get a good wound seal. It
is more than just a quick cut and some wax.

Plum branches make wonderful forced flowers for a early taste of spring.

http://thurly.net/10u3

I posted only about what to do with the pruned branches. Forcing
them.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

³Every conflict in the world today has its origin in the
imagination of British map drawers,² Author Unknown