Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default 25 ft high plum trees. To cut or not to cut that is the Q.

On Mar 8, 1:30 pm, Billy wrote:

...Oak trees are an exception
...oak wilt,
...oak trees should not be pruned in
... an oak tree needs to be pruned during the growing
...prune oak trees in
...oaks are pruned

billy made a fair point made about oaks that may translate to most
deciduous.

However, there are many theories as well as materials for wound
painting such as the three methods from UC Davis for fruit trees:
http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8058.pdf

Here is my mentor's take on it:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%2...d%20sealer.pdf
some others similar:
http://www.extension.org/faq/1284
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._13/index.html

I read most of the Bonsai community don't seal branch cuts much these
days. yet some still do, but most all do use lime sulfur (lime
sulphur for you) on their trees especially when they create a jin* or
a shari. So is it a matter of ingredients? I still search info on
that with the worry about phytotoxicity. (BTW, there is an article in
the site below that addresses preserving deadwood that could be of
interest : http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATP...0Deadwood.html)

*Jin: http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATC...0Deadwood.html