Old 09-03-2011, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Green tent

On Mar 8, 10:24*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
I'm thinking of using some plastic sheeting to form a temporary greenhouse
or more precisely a green tent. I've been using steel garden fencing poles
as plant stakes. I'm thinking of putting them out earlier this year and
using them as tent poles by stretching plastic film over them to form a
tent. I'm hoping this might allow me to get an earlier start, maybe April
or early May instead of waiting to the end of May. When the weather is
reliably warm I'll take the plastic down.

I'm in Massachusetts, near New Hampshire.

I have a couple of questions,

1) Am I fooling myself? Will this really be helpful?

2) What sort of plastic should I use. I see that there are things marketed
as greenhouse films. Are they any better than a roll of plastic sheeting
from Loews or Home Depot?

Google Hoop houses, tunnel houses &/or Google videos: "build a hoop
house" and take your pick.

Easy to take 3/8 or 1/2" rebar stakes (or your garden stakes) and
some 3/4-1' PVC to make a hoop house. A dollar 2 ninety eight 10'
pole @ 24-36" OC will make ~7' at the peak, covered w/ a roll of 5
mil plastic will get you going. Opening flap ends during the day is
key. 2x4 or 2x6s on edges to hold down the 5 mil. Consider
orienting ends to prevailing winds

As David indicates UV is important but it still "depends" and
Contractor grade 5mil plastic will easily last a couple of good
seasons, more if you remove and store it when not needed.

The horticulture options to consider:
http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...ing-c-197.html.
Plenty of time to cost price that out in later seasons if you stay
with it, but for now the Big Box 5 mil or clear plastic is OK

Hoops are truly a great assist in getting your garden up and running
in early season.