Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Thos Thos is offline

Default propergating tomatoes from seed?

Of course it's possible to grow tomatoes from seed saved.
It is important to make sure that you're growing heirloom tomatoes as
opposed to hybrids. Last year I grew 4 or 5 heirloom varieties (Black Krim,
Black from Tula, Czech's Excellent Yellow, Risentraub, German Pink) from
seed I bought from Seed Savers Exchange. I had excellent production, and
saved the seeds from the biggest and best of all varieties. It isn't rocket
science to save seed, and you don't need to go through all the machinations
listed by some others. Simply remove the seeds and put them in a glass of
water for a few days, then sieve the seeds in running water to remove the
gelatinous outer coating, then simply separate the seeds and dry them on a
paper towel. I used the seeds I saved this year to start my tom's. I had
100% germination. I started them in the house on a heat mat in January,
then moved them to the (heated) greenhouse in February. They are fine, and
about to go into larger pots. Our last average freeze date here in Texas is
about March 21st. I would give it a try. What's to loose?

"echinosum" wrote in message

coykiesaol;914418 Wrote:
I was cutting up a tomato earlier and just wondered if it is possible to
grow a tomato plant from the seed within the tomato. If so, how would I
go about this and would I be too late for a crop this year? Thanks as
always.

Tomato plants are easily grown from seed, especially with the assistance
of a heated propagator to germinate them. Google will find you
instructions suitable for the area you live in. In climates with frosty
winters, we sow the seeds indoors about 6 weeks before it is safe to put
the plants out, which is once all risk of frost is well past. Though if
you have a greenhouse, then you have a wider range of options.

But I would not in general suggest taking seeds out of a tomato you
bought in the shop, because many of them are hybrids and won't breed
true, and might not have ripened sufficiently on the plant to be good
seed. You'd do better to go to a seed seller and get tomato seed of
varieties suitable for home cultivation in the area you live in.

But if you want to try taking seeds out of a tomato, etc, then this seed
seller is pleased to tell you how to do it. 'Great Vegetable Seeds from
The Real Seed Catalogue' (http://www.realseeds.co.uk/index.html)

--
echinosum