Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Melon suggestions for New England

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:12:37 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I'd like to be able to grow a melon. I do fine with tomatoes, peas,
corn, strawberries, blueberries and beans but I've never been able to
get a melon to grow.

I live in Massachusetts, near the New Hampshire border so I have a
short growing season. Has anyone been able to get a melon to grow
around here? I'd like a suggestion for a variety suited to this climate
and tips on how to handle it.

How long is it usually between the last frost of spring and the first of
autumn?

The season is June through September

What is the typical (not maximum) temperature mid afternoon in high
summer?

The hottest couple of weeks in the summer are in the 90s, most of the
summer is in the 70s or 80s.

David