Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Bug id please

"gogo" wrote in message
On 08/03/2011 21:29, rbel wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:47:34 -0000, shazzbat
wrote:

I dug up this handsome specimen this morning. The top of it is black,
or very dark brown. I haven't come across this one before, anyone know
what it is?

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/shazzbat3/

Initial thought is that it is the _larval stage_ of a beetle, probably
one of the many species of staphylinidae ('staph' or rove beetle) a very
good predator of garden pests.

I agree completely. Type "staphylinidae larvae" or "coleoptera larvae" in
Google image and you'll see many similar beatsies. Very difficult to
determine which though..

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've googled images and I think the female
glowworm is nearest to the one I found.

As long as I haven't suddenly acquired a deadly enemy I'm not that fussed.

Steve