Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Missed some potatoes when harvesting.

On 09/03/2011 09:30, harry wrote:
On Mar 8, 12:51 pm, wrote:
I have been digging over last years potato plot over the last couple of
days and have dug out loads of ones I missed. The ones I didn't put the
fork through are in very good condition, which makes me think that
considering the harsh winter we have all had, why dig them up in the first
place at harvest time? Why not leave them until needed? Yes I put the fork
through some, but with more care it would not be so.
The ones I harvested last autumn and stored are not nearly as good as the
ones left in the ground over winter. I do realise that I will need the
ground in April onwards, but I can harvest them then and store them for a
much shorter period until the new ones are ready.

I know I am missing something here, probably basic, but I wondered if
anyone who reads this has any comments,criticism or useful advice.

Baz

Heh Heh. 'Twas always the way with potatos! There are more there you
have still missed that will grow and reveal themselves. They are best
dug with a fork, there are special ones you can buy. But not really
worth the money I think.

The reason for digging them up is so you have them to hand& you know
how many you have. Also it disrupts the ground predators (slugs etc.)
The best way to store them if you have lots is to make a clamp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_clamp

Otherwise keep in a dark, cool, frostproof place.
As the ground warms, they sprout and taste less good.

If someone can instruct me on not missing potatoes when digging them I
would be very happy. I get sick of them sprouting up in a seed bed the
next year!