Old 09-03-2011, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graham K. Graham K. is offline

Default lemon tree fruit

On 09/03/2011 17:19, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Graham K." wrote ...

I have just been given a small lemon tree. It is bearing small green
fruit which presumably developed last year. Do I remove these or will
they develop into ripe fruit this year?

Citrus can take almost a year for fruit to grow to useful size, so no,
do not remove them as they should be big enough to use later in the
year, probably nearer Christmas. The only exception is if your small
tree has too many fruit growing and whilst they usually abort excess
fruit, sometimes they don't and it can weaken the tree. We had this with
a Tahiti Lime which then took two years to recover.

Do you know how to grow it? Ericaceous compost with added drainage
material, no water tray underneath as the roots in water will surely
kill it. Lots of feed too as gross feeders.

Thanks for that.