Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Proposed Plant Bans

terryc wrote:
gardenlen wrote:
that's why i said indemic natives.

That would totally cripple the nursery industry.
Local seed collection and propagation requiresreal work.

And very little of it has been done. When I first moved to where I now live
I asked all the authorities (council, landcare, etc) for a list of plants
that were native to the area. Not only is there no supply of seed there is
no list.

There is no evidence of any plot to restrict domestic plants to those
endemic to the area. The system of grades of noxious weeds is well
established and pretty consistent between councils allowing for differences
in climate. The council weeds officer here has her hands full just trying
to get people to deal with the nastiest weeds (level 4 and 5 if I recall) so
levels 1,2,3 are on the honour system. There is no prospect of another few
thousand (or tens of thousands) of species being declared. The cost and the
grief that the councils would cop would be prohibitive and there is no sigh
from any of them of a big push in that direction. And of course it would
never work even if they were prepared to be so unpopular, if they cannot get
rid of the top 10 how will they get rid of 10 thousand?

I think Len is just manufacturing another conspiracy out of thin air, having
another air swing (if you ever play golf).

David