Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Missed some potatoes when harvesting.

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 04:17:47 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article , Owdboggy.7ec4996
says...

kay;914443 Wrote:
If I don't dig mine I lose most of them to slugs.
Missed some potatoes when harvesting.

And what else is it when you store potatoes in a clamp, but reburying
them in the ground until needed?

Clamps usually have layers of straw as insulation, don't they? and so
that you can get to the tubers in cold weather.

And in a clamp the Murphies are surrounded by their kin, not by moist
soil. The clamp also has ventilating chimneys filled with straw. (Has
anybody here ever actually /built/ a potato clamp? I could copy the
diagram in the childhood Pear's Cyclopedia and elsewhere from memory,
but that's as far as I go.)

I haven't built a potato clamp myself but remember standing next to my
grandfather when *he* did.
He was a top gardener & chicken keeper, needed to be to get his children
through WWII.
Good job he did or I wouldn't be here ;-)