Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default what varieties of tomatoes should I plant this year?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Principe
Borghese" for plum tomatoes and for drying.

I'll second those. The name had escaped me, but I remember them doing
very well for me, too.

Jim

The 900 lb. gorilla in the room that no one has mentioned is, of course,
the Brandywine tomato which has a cult following, which is well deserved
in my opinion. It doesn't produce a lot of tomatoes, but the ones that
they do produce are magnificent.

For a yellow cherry tomato, you might try Blondkopfchen, which last year
(a cold year here), in my garden was a huge producer, and held up well
when the rains began.

I gave up on brandywines it requires a longer growing season unless you
begin them indoors way in advance. At least in Michigan.