Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default how to make soil amendments without digging up the yard?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:

Add pulverized egg shells (put in blender with some water) to your
lawn. Egg shells breakdown slowly, so you won't get a quick
response, but they will break down eventually.

Get serious. Ted already has enough goofy advice. If the lawn is
no bigger than 3m square and he has 5 years to wait this is a good
idea.

David

Explain your goofy response.

I appreciate your aim of re-use and recycle but in this case it isn't
practical.

How many eggs do you have to eat to get enough shell to spread on a yard?

It's a long term thing, you have to like eggs (maybe your friends or
neighbors will help out), and hopefully they are pastured egg shells
(the eggs will be better for you). It's what I do.

Obviously, if your in a rush and have money to burn, I'd probably do
rock phosphate at 50 lbs.(24 kg) per 1000 sq. ft.(100 sq. m.), unless
you wanted to adjust the pH upwards.

Sure it depends on the size of the yard but we are talking about some kilos
of egg shell.

How fine can you grind it?

I don't care. Sometimes I just crush it with my hands and toss them into
the beds. I've had time. Hopefully, I'll have more. And the shells
disappear, eventually. It's gardening;O)

Not very fine without a mill. Fine garden lime
or gypsum will take months to work, ground shell will be much coarser and
take years.

So?

David

--