Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Is birdseed viable?

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Is birdseed viable or has it been treated in some way so that it won't
germinate?

I'd like to make my yard as bee friendly as possible. Costco birdseed is
cheap and consists of sunflowers and other seeds that should produce
flowers that bees will like assume that they will germinate. If I plant
some of the bird food will it grow?

I would not bother as the seeds will sprout in a very tight proximity
to each other that is overwhelmingly high in N2. Great for compost
additions.
I Feed Niger, Black Sunflower and suet. The Niger is irradiated I
believe.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://uppitywis.org/ live WI