Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Seed advice please.

On Mar 12, 5:01*pm, kay wrote:
SaintUpNorth;914785 Wrote:

Hi, I'm a bit of a novice gardener and need some advice.
In brief, to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary we want to 'plant'
there initials in flowers on a nearby grass slope.
So what I need is some advice on what to plant. I'm thinking:-

- Seeds that can be sown rather than having to plant seedlings.

- Seeds that are cheap. The areas quite big.

- An annual we want to return the slope to the owner 'as new'.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think it will work if the grass is already there. The seedlings
will not be able to compete.

You could do it if you were sowing the whole area from bare soil, sow
mainly grass, then flower seed within the outline of their initials.

You could do it with bulbs, but you'd have to dig them up again
afterwards if you wanted to restore the slope to plain grass. Similarly
you could do it by planting established plants, but I guess you want the
effect to appear gradually.

--
kay

I'd be more inclined to buy them a plant that they can have in their
garden if they have one, or in a tub , and that will last much longer.