Old 13-03-2011, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Seed advice please.

"kay" wrote in message

SaintUpNorth;914792 Wrote:
Thanks Kay.

I guess bulbs might be an option. Is there any such thing as an Annual
bulb.

No :-)
That's the whole point of a bulb - to store food over the dormant season
to allow the plant to be perennial

Unless.

The grass normally mowed (or is that mown?) on a regular intervals, but the
bulbs can be allowed to grow, THEN, continue regular mowing. The bulbs will
then die off. depends on the time of the year and when mowing starts and
stops. ....... iffy.

Someone suggested a tree. Best idea yet.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

The best you might do is plant something that originates in a hot
country and is definitely not hardy, so the bulbs will freeze and rot
over the winter. Begonias, or something like that.

A bit of time planting bulbs would be OK but digging them up afterwards
would be an problem.
Alternatively if we used seedlings, could you recommend something that's
easy to raise from seed, colourful and hardy?

Nothing that will out-compete the grass.
If you're starting from bare soil, you've a huge variety.

Why hardy? When's the anniversary?

--
kay