Old 14-03-2011, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default how to make soil amendments without digging up the yard?

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
..
.

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

For nitrogen I'd spread 'your friend and mine' - good old blood
and bone.

And you get this from where?, he said with reservations.

I have no idea since I don't live in the US. If I did, I suspect
I'd be looking for it under a different name, like blood meal or
bone meal or somesuch.

I wasn't sure, if that was what you meant, or the inedible remains of
slaughtered animals.

Well I do know people who have very large shredding machine who pick
up roadkill (eg dead roos, wombats etc), shove the roadkill through
the shredder and then throw in either cardboard boxes or hay bales to
clean out the lingering remains. I guess that would achieve a
similar result.

Do they run a soup kitchen?

Just saw a few minutes on TV on how they recycle the waste food from
Las Vegas a very small USA city. Trucked away looking like garbage
cooked and stirred and called slop. Then transferred to a pig farm.
Got me thinking about Prions (Bacon to Bacon) and fasting tonight.

Whew..

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal here. I'm sure it is in the UK since
the last but one foot and mouth outbreak. IIRC, that outbreak was in the
early 2000s and was supposedly caused from restaurant scraps which had a
furrin origin.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/8/24/david_kirby_on_the_looming_threat

Something else we feed chickens that people donıt realize is beef
products. And when those chickens eat that beef product, some of it
falls into their litter. Well, we produce so much chicken litter in this
country, because of these factory farms, and it is so rich in phosphorus
and nitrogen, its land application uses are limited. So you have surplus
chicken litter and nothing to do with it. What do they do with it? They
feed it to cattle. So we feed beef cows chicken crap. That chicken
litter often contains bits and byproducts of cattle. So we are actually
feeding cattle to cattle, which is a risk factor for bovine spongiform
encephalopathy, better known as mad cow disease. We actually feed cattle
products to cattle in three different ways: chicken litter, restaurant
scraps, and blood products on dairy farms. And all the mad cow cases in
this country came from mega-dairies where, when that calf is born, they
remove it from its mother immediately, because that motherıs milk is a
commodity, itıs worth money, so instead they feed that calf a formula
that includes bovine blood products, and again increasing the risk of
mad cow disease.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore