Old 14-03-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Is birdseed viable?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:05:09 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

-snip-
Nan have the tried the upside down Niger tube feeder? It forces the
finches to flip upside down to feed. Neat as only finches can do it.

and the occasional Chickadee. I had 1 the first year & now there are
at least 2. It is funny that other chickadees will sit on the
other perches and seem to be thinking 'How in hell are you doing
that?'.

Jim

I've had flax sprout and bloom and was delighted to see it. The
finches showed up when I started growing sunflowers. There's a family
of 5 chickadee's fussing at each other each morning as I broadcast the
birdseed, bread and peanuts. And grackles have returned this year! Oh
frabjuous day!

I'm so glad spring is finally here. The grape hyacinths bloomed today,
along with one of the flowering crab apple trees. The hawthornes are
in full bloom, as well as the flowering quince, which is quite late
this year.

Onions in ground and planted sugar snap peas, romaine, kale and
spinach yeaterday. Better late than never.

Kate
Middle TN