Old 15-03-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Bee garden

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:

I haven't found that to be true. They cohabitate with my potatoes,
parsnips, and curcubits with no problem. I've never had negative
interactions between sunflowers and other plants.

I found sunflower roots to be shallow and not deep. Perhaps due my poor
soil conditions and I am taking the slow and low cost to soil improvement.
We are talking about those six foot types?

I imagine every plant does have companion plants. I never thought about
root crops like potatoes and parsnips. All of my root veggies are all in
raised beds. Sunflowers stalks are like corn, so low vine like crops would
also make a good companion. But then squash are very hardy plants. So I
stand corrected once again

However, if planting Sun Flowers I would lookup for companion plants. I
will still say there are plants like tomatoes that will not work next to
Sun Flowers.

(with a nod to the news)
Sunflowers can be used to extract toxic ingredients from soil, such as
lead, arsenic and uranium. They were used to remove cesium-137 and
strontium-90 from a nearby pond after the Chernobyl disaster[13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower#Cultivation_and_uses

And don't forget to mask tape your windows ;O))

Then look out for the price of sun flowers seeds and masking tape to go
through the roof. Japan will be buying a lot of seeds and tape. If they
absorb toxins, will the seeds be safe to eat?

You can serve them with melamine and cyanuric acid =:Oo

===
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore