Old 15-03-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default how to make soil amendments without digging up the yard?

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Ted Shoemaker wrote:

So let's add compost. But, in order to add enough calcium in
compost form, I'd have to add several inches (in vertical depth) of
of compost. That would smother the lawn. Nope. Not gonna do it.
I don't want to re-plant the lawn.

Compost is good for depleted soil for many reasons but it will not
increase calcium very much if at all.

if you add enough to improve the habitat for
worms they will increase calcium levels. worms
do secrete calcium.

The worms will just recycle the calcium already in the environment so this
would have no net effect.

also many plants do have calcium, that doesn't
disappear when compost is made (or if it does
where does it go?).

All plants have calcium (but not much) and it doesn't go away when they die
or are composted (unlike nitrogen). However this is a very inefficient way
to add calcium to your soil, especially if the compost came from your
calcium depleted soil in the first place.

just be careful as adding too much compost all
at once will likely encourage fungal diseases (
if you smother the grass).

Obviously I can't believe everything I hear or read.

What do you suggest?

Thank you.

Ted where did you get this information? Have you tested the pH? If
not do so before you act.

agreed.

but really, it makes more sense to plant grasses
or add other plants to the mix that will tolerate
existing conditions. leave the amendments and
compost for the garden beds that you want to alter
to fit specific crops (much smaller areas, less
expensive, etc.).

songbird

This is an option but if liming is suitable in the situation it is not
difficult nor particularly expensive.

David