Old 16-03-2011, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default More Q's misc.

On 16/03/2011 11:05, Baz wrote:
Over the last year or two I have been pleased to take advice from users of
this group, but I still need help and advice with two niggling problems
which if solved would be very nice, to say the least.

1 Whitefly on brassicas. THE problem.

Never found anything effective against whitefly apart from encouraging
birds like bluetits and ladybirds/lacewings into the vicinity. My hedge
is afflicted some years. My brassicas suffer more from caterpillars
appearing overnight and eating every leaf leaving just the ribs.

2 Soil. (light)Mine does not retain moisture despite adding lots of organic
material and have to water every day in summer with a hosepipe when
permitted. This is mainly potatoes which need the water I have found.

All advice is most welcome,

You might find it useful to put a mulch of bark chips on top of the soil
so that the water applied is not subject to direct sunlight and airflow.
That way the soil stays moist for much longer.

Regards,
Martin Brown