Old 16-03-2011, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default More Q's misc.

In article ,
says...
On 16/03/2011 11:05, Baz wrote:

2 Soil. (light)Mine does not retain moisture despite adding lots of
organic material and have to water every day in summer with a
hosepipe when permitted. This is mainly potatoes which need the water
I have found.

I have to say that buying mulch is going to be quite expensive. That

option
is not for me and I should have pointed out so. If it was a one time
purchase I would be the first in the queue.

I didn't have in mind buying it. Anything organic will do as a mulch to
keep water in. I tend to use rougher compost from my heap for this
purpose and let the worms mix it in. All you want is something coarse
enough to let water in easily and prevent excessive evaporation.

I've also used dead bracken, green bracken,nettles and comfrey,
seaweed, grasscuttings. If the mulch is in short supply, spread it on a
bottom layer of flattened cardboard cartons (free from white-goods
retailer).

I know most of the contributers within this
group are free of tethers such as mortgages,

I must have missed the urglers' credit reference reports. I don't even
know what what they live in let alone if they own it.

Janet.