Old 16-03-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Danger! Noob alert.

On Mar 16, 12:20*pm, Jennings
wrote:
Hi Guys,

My name is Jennings, I am 40-odd years old and I am a gardening noob. I
have never been interested in gardening. I have always seen it as the
dwelling place for the clinically dull.

However that changed when I recently moved into a new house. What
changed? Well either gardening became fascinating or I became dull.
Either way suits me.

The house has quite a large front garden and a medium sized back garden.
The back garden was a mess. Well...I mean, it was nicely designed - but
terribly overgrown.

I decided to do the bare minimum to make it look reasonable. I found
that with some effort clearing rotten wood and ivy there was a really
cool patio underneath. And I could improve the patio with some simple
'patio magic'. I pruned back some shrubs with crazy latin names, so they
weren't growing into each other. I soon learned about 'thinning cuts'
and 'bearing cuts' and soon people were saying - ooh your garden looks
better.

So now I enjoy my garden. Maybe I will get bored in the next few weeks -
or maybe I will stick with it. Who knows? But for now it is rewarding
and enoyable.

I really want to grow a topiary of some description - you know a little
tree in the shape of a ball (not everyone's cuppa, I know). I also want
my lawn to look nice (currently it is 20% moss!). I also want to make a
little patio down the side of the house - so I can use my main patio for
BBQs and not storing my huge collection of recycle bins and bags. In the
front I have a huge (30M squared rockery - what on earth do I put in
there!?) So much to do.

Anyway, I dont have any specific questions for you fellow dullards, but
I will lurk a little and learn what I can about the basics.

Thanks for reading,

Jennings

--
Jennings

It takes years and years to create a topiary tree. You can buy an
expensive lollipop sort of thing. Massive topic, best to buy a book.
PS. Have you got a friend named Derbyshire?