Old 16-03-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ros Butt Ros Butt is offline

Default capillary matting

We're going to give a try to capillary matting for the seed pots in
the greenhouse this year, instead of gravel in the trays and would
appreciate any advice as to the best way to water? (without buying the
fancy kits etc)

many thanks
Ros

You might not need fancy kits if you learn what capillary means.
Any fancy kits can be made easilly at home.

This is not meant to be sarky or anything, you just need to understand how
it all works, then you won't be paying £x for a sponge, because that is
what it may be, a sponge.

Baz

Thanks Baz

I do know what capillary means; perhaps I didn't phrase it properly - I was
wondering which method people had found more successful - using a 'soak up'
wick, or drip feeding from perhaps a hole in a suspended bottle (hence my
remark about not buying fancy kits with taps etc).

Ros