Old 16-03-2011, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default capillary matting

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Ros Butt
writes

On 16/03/2011 10:49, Ros Butt wrote:
We're going to give a try to capillary matting for the seed pots in the
greenhouse this year, instead of gravel in the trays and would
appreciate
any advice as to the best way to water? (without buying the fancy kits
etc)

many thanks
Ros

I've never bought capillary matting so I can't recommend one. I suggest
you research types and prices. You don't need anything at all fancy.
I've known people use a length of old blanket.

I've only ever seen it used the old-fashioned way with a tank of water
plus a bench-top tray with capillary matting used as a wick, but I've
seen tray-only types which, presumably have matting which hold on to
enough water for a couple of weeks. Which ever method you use, you'll
need to top it up.

Have a google on "using capillary matting" and look at a few links.

Thanks Spider, I already have the matting, but was wondering which method
of watering people have found more successful, drip feed or 'soak up' wick

Mostly we just pour a bit more water on now and again to keep it damp.
However, the best way I think is to use some sort of water reservoir and a
wick to suck up the water. Opaque is best as it will stop algae growing

You can buy small tanks that hang from the staging - some can be connected
to the mains like a household water tank. but all you need is some sort of
container that you can mount by the staging - you want the top level or
bit below, above and the water just transfer down to the staging. rig up a
wick of some scrap capillary matting to supply the water.

I've got a plastic box sitting in the greenhouse waiting for me to rig
something up.
--
Chris French

Or wonderful neighbours as we have :-))

We can go away on a cruise and the house and the garden are taken care of
:-))

Neighbours are what you make them. Be nice to them and they will be nice to
you :-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive