Old 16-03-2011, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Garden Cultivator. Any good?

On Mar 15, 10:37*am, Baz wrote:
Due to a bit of bad health, hopefuly short term, I am looking for ways to
keep the veg garden up to snuff without breaking my back or the bank, or
having others do it for me. I like to till it,sow it, grow it, cook it and
eat it, there is no other way although my cooking is probably a bit basic..
To help me I googled this,

ttp://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_18998.htm

I am asking for comments on the product or recommendations on similar
devices.
Baz

If you want to make life easier forget cultivators - they're hard work
and spoil the structure especially of heavier soils and make the weed
situation worse. For an easier life after a lifetime of professional
gardening I made deep beds (not raised) Don't dig or cultivate paths
or headlands, that's hard work for no benefit.
Put all of your work and any muck you can get into the deep beds.
Remove all of the perennial weeds that you can and get started on some
veg in your first bed, keep as many others as possible fallow - some
for the whole season and some just long enough to get a spray of
Roundup on as soon as there's anything to spray. The long term fallow
can be sprayed a couple more times and used for your overwintering
crops. 2 or 3 seasons of this treatment will improve the soil beyond
recognition and you will have no more spraying to do and precious
little weeding.
I started on a similar programme to this at work just before I retired
and wish I'd done it years before.

Rod