Old 17-03-2011, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Garden Cultivator. Any good?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 Hugh Jampton wrote:

Using a cultivator is quicker but still bloody hard work.

Agreed :-(

I've got a Honda - 6 gears + reverse. Wonderful machine but *very* hard
work. I never use it for more than half an hour. I remember the first time
I used it many years ago - I just couldn't believe how hard it was to use -
aching for days after :-( Got a bit easier these days but still hard work.

Having said all that I think the Lidl one might be a little easier to use
although it certainly won't do the same work as the Honda.

I have two cultivators, a larger one designed for turning over vegetable
plots, and which *is* hard work, and a smaller which I originally bought
for turning over the soil next to vines planted in rows. I actually find
that I use the smaller one quite a bit on the vegetable plot, mostly
when I'm preparing to sow or plant the occasional row of things. It
doesn't, as someone else has said, dig very deeply but it is very quick
and light when preparing a row or two.

Of course, if the soil has been left for any length of time then a small
cultivator is not much use at all.

David

http://rance.org.uk