Old 17-03-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Feeding an orchid

I have a Phalaenopsis (?) that I bought 3 months ago at Home Depot on
my desk near a window. I haven't killed it yet, and it's still
blooming :-)

The humidity is low, and the water is hard. I take the plant out of
its cachepot every Friday and douse the bark with warm tapwater. Then
let it drip while I carry it back to the office, and put it back in
its cache. That's all I've been giving it; hard water once a week.

It's starting to send up a new leaf (so I assume the flowers will be
gone soon), so should I start fertilizing it? What do I use? I see
conflicting information on the Internet about how much nitrogen (some
say to use low N, some say high N because it has to compete with the
decomposing bark)

Thanks,
Bob