Old 17-03-2011, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Red sand soils in Paignton

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 Sacha wrote:

I thought everyone knew that. When I first moved to Devon, I
thought
there were a lot of strawberry roans around my home. Then I realised
they'd been lying on/rolling in red Devon mud!

Even the sand on the beach at Paignton & Goodrington stains towels /
clothes
red!
Used to take that train to work from Paignton to Exeter & at sunrise those
cliffs through Dawlish etc. glowed! That and their wonderful shapes even
brightened up a Monday morning!
Les

That trainline to Dawlish is magical, even if waves do break over the
carriages occasionally.

When I was a boy I knew the red sandstone from the other side of the Exe
estuary. Exmouth was a quaint little fishing town in those days and I
loved wandering around the docks.

David

http://rance.org.uk