Old 17-03-2011, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Red sand soils in Paignton

On 2011-03-17 19:03:59 +0000, "Les Hemmings" said:

Sacha wrote:
I thought everyone knew that. When I first moved to Devon, I thought
there were a lot of strawberry roans around my home. Then I realised
they'd been lying on/rolling in red Devon mud!

Even the sand on the beach at Paignton & Goodrington stains towels /
clothes
red!
Used to take that train to work from Paignton to Exeter & at sunrise
those
cliffs through Dawlish etc. glowed! That and their wonderful shapes even
brightened up a Monday morning!
Les

That trainline to Dawlish is magical, even if waves do break over the
carriages occasionally.

Magical, yes very much so, particularly at sunrise, but often
problematic. I used to do the Newton Abbot to Paddington return journey
quite frequently and, after having to change trains at Exeter because the
drivers cab windows were damaged by the waves hurling stones from the what
passes as a beach, being stuck for ages at Teignmouth whilst the powers
that be debated whether or not it was safe to proceed and having to change
to coach travel on a couple of occasions to get around the Dawlish stretch
I eventually started consulting the local weather forecast and the tide
tables before arranging my ticket.
--
rbel