Old 18-03-2011, 10:13 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninak View Post
Hi, just an update on what worked. It's two and a half years later and the Moso is the only successful plant I managed to grow from the seeds. The falconari did not germinate, along with all the others except the Bambusa textilis and the Moso. The bambusa died in the first winter, but the Moso is doing pretty well.
Good of you to report this. Shame the falconeri did not germinate, to be honest it was the only other one worth trying. Be interested to hear if you are getting fat culms on your moso as it matures in a few years time.

The last couple of winters have been an interesting test of what is really suitable for growing in our islands! Even our supposedly super-mild SW has discovered that they can have ice and snow like the rest of us. Many of us have lost a lot of marginal plants, and been surprised at the resilience of others. Even some common garden plants like Cordylines have suffered widespread decimation, though many will come back from the roots. Most of my bamboos are super-hardy, the only one that isn't is Thamnocalamus crassinodus, and that is looking rather tatty after the winter. A few of last year's culms have been lost or shortened, but I'm pretty sure most of it is alive, though it will be a while yet before it refoliates and regains its elegant appearance.