Old 18-03-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pots to bloom in summer months

On 18/03/2011 12:02, Jennings wrote:
Hi guys,

As you may know from my introductory post I am a noob gardener.

One challenge I have set myself is to grow some plants and flowers in
pots, so they bloom in the summer months. I can then position the pots
at tactical places in my front rockery, my back patio or hanging
baskets.

Look for packets of dwarf half-hardy annuals (such as marigold,
antirrhinum, mesems (good in a hot, dry spot if you are likely to forget
to water the pots!), nemophila, petunia, salvia, and many others. Have
a browse in your local garden centre (or Wilko if you want to save money)

I have bought three bergonia bulbs which I am going to plant this
weekend.

I wouldn't if I were you as begonias will suffer if a frost gets to
them. It is too early unless you have a greenhouse to keep them in, or
start them on a windowsill for putting outside in late May.

I would really welcome any advice on what sort of stuff is cheap,
relatively easy(so my experience is rewarding), and adds a splash of
colour.

As others have said, seeds are the way to go. Get the dwarf varieties
for pots, or they will look very odd. You could also consider summer
bulbs, although the flowering spike of majority of these are too tall
for a pot. But many new varieties are appearing (eg dwarf dahlias).
Once again, have a browse in a garden centre.

Is this a good idea? Are there obvious plant types I should go for? How
many should I do (I am not wealthy)?

you could always pop along to your local Horticultural or Garden society
and ask for advice. They often have cheap stuff available as they buy
in bulk.

I hope these aren't stupid questions - and I know a lot of this is
subjective and down to taste - but I want to get a feel for what other
(novice and experienced) gardeners would do.

No, these are sensible questions for any beginner.

--

Jeff