Old 18-03-2011, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Pots to bloom in summer months

"Jennings" wrote ,

As you may know from my introductory post I am a noob gardener.

One challenge I have set myself is to grow some plants and flowers in
pots, so they bloom in the summer months. I can then position the pots
at tactical places in my front rockery, my back patio or hanging
baskets.

I have bought three bergonia bulbs which I am going to plant this
weekend.

I would really welcome any advice on what sort of stuff is cheap,
relatively easy(so my experience is rewarding), and adds a splash of
colour.

Is this a good idea? Are there obvious plant types I should go for? How
many should I do (I am not wealthy)?

I hope these aren't stupid questions - and I know a lot of this is
subjective and down to taste - but I want to get a feel for what other
(novice and experienced) gardeners would do.

The begonia tubers should be potted up asap but must not be left outside
until all chance of frost is gone, about Chelsea Flower Show time usually,
the end of May. Pot them with the concave side uppermost, rounded side
downwards, and just cover with half an inch of compost. Water vary sparingly
at first until you see the shoots breaking through and then water slightly
more until it's growing away well. You can keep these tubers for years if
you take the pot into a frost free place before the first frosts and put it
onto it's side so you remember to not water it at all until the spring.

Cheap is relative, but Fuschias and Zonal pelargoniums (Incorrectly called
Geraniums in most GCs) make good centre plants and are both easy and will
give a superb display all summer. Fuschias don't need a lot of sun but do
like a lot of water, Zonal pels do like sun and don't want to be wet. These
two can also be kept over winter but with more difficulty, the Fuschias need
to be potted up and the Zonal pels need cuttings taken in late summer. Under
these plants, especially the Fuschias which also like a lot of water, you
could plant Bizzy Lizzys but I would suggest only one colour per tub, not
the multi-coloured ones which can look a mess.

Try to find a local Nursery that grows and sell bedding plants, they will
usually be much better plants probably have a greater variety and be cheaper
than a GC or Shed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden