Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Mike K

Default Gourami Bubble nest

I have a 55 gal tank that houses (among many tetra and a few Ottos) 6
Gouramis (2 Flame, 2 Blue (dwarf), and 2 gold. One of the Flames has built
himself a bubble nest in on corner of the tank in a thick stand of Water
Wisteria. Needless to say, he is displaying fantastic red and blue colors
and is very rambunctious. I think that all 6 are males (not sure about the
blue dwarfs. They are solid blue. Female maybe?). Will a male go through the
process of building a nest if there are no females present in the tank?
Also, I have no facilities for raising fry if eggs happen to get laid.
Should I just scoop the nest out now or if I let nature take its course will
some fry possibly survive? I understand that the female will eat the eggs
and the male will eat the fry.

These guys are moving quick. The Flames have only been in the tank two
weeks!