Old 19-03-2011, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Pots to bloom in summer months

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:16:01 +0000, Jennings
wrote:

Guys - thanks to everyone that has replied.

I have collated a set of notes from all of your posts and am going to
get to work this weekend

Mrs ??Jennings is going to hate me - I don't have a shed, so I will have
to bring the pots into the house until the frost risk has passed.

Mrs J (whatever the ?? means) doesn't have to hate you. I'll guess
that when you say "pots" you mean what I call "tubs" - those big
things that take around 15-20 litres of compost to fill and are quite
heavy. At this time of year you 've got options, depending on how you
buy your plant stock:

- buy the "trays" of plug plants now appearing in garden centres and
while you're at it pick up some 3" pots and some trays (often called
"gravel trays") that don't have holes in the bottom and which fit your
window sills. Pot the little plugs on into the 3" pots and you'll get
a lot onto your window sills - better than a load of tubs on the floor
which Mrs J has to clean around (assuming she takes care of the inside
while you're engaged in the more important work outside);

-buy stuff in 3" pots already but remember you'll be paying thru the
nose for it;

-order stuff online. Lots of places sell packs of large "pot ready" or
"garden ready" plugs that will be delivered in April/May when frosts
are less of a risk and you can either plant them into the "tubs".
Then keep an eye on the weather and if it's going to get below 2/3
degrees C where you are, pop some fleece over the tubs at night; if
it's going to get below zero C where you are, bring the tubs in for
the night. To get an idea have a look at
http://www.jerseyplantsdirect.com/ and click on "Bedding Plants" and
then "By size" for some examples.

Jake