Old 20-03-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Watering Houseplants While Away

In article ,
"Gary Brown" wrote:

Hi,

We will be away for a while - much longer than our houseplants
can go without water. Is there a watering mechanism that will
work for three weeks so we needn't have anyone come in?

Thanks,
Gary

Gels
Though not a plant watering system per se, hydrogels can become part of
your container garden watering routine. These gels absorb moisture--up
to 100 times their weight, notes Purdue University Extension--then
slowly release it into the soil. Add hydrogels into your potting soil
before planting a container garden, then use a bottle-style irrigation
system to keep your plants well watered.
http://www.gardenguides.com/130019-w...ner-gardens.ht
ml
--
- Billy